Human Resources Administrator - Part-time at Queens Botanical Garden in Queens, New York
Mission: Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York. In FY20 (a partial pandemic year), the Garden served 164,546 visitors, including 14,378 schoolchildren. A recently completed visitor survey reveals that 45% of visitors speak a language other than English at home. This fact underscores the importance of the mission and the challenges and opportunities QBG faces daily in creating programs, exhibits and landscapes that serve the needs of people who live in and visit one of the most ethnically diverse counties in the nation. The Garden has committed itself to addressing the complex and ever-changing needs of its diverse community and to being the place where people, plants, and cultures meet.
The Human Resources Administrator (HR Administrator) reports to the Director of Finance & Administration and will be responsible for maintaining personnel records, assuring timely and accurate administration of employee compensation and benefits, ensuring compliance with labor laws and OSHA regulations, supporting recruitment of open positions, and overseeing onboarding and offboarding of employees. The HR Administrator will be well versed in federal, state, and local employment regulations, QBG’s employment benefits and policies, and provisions of the DC37 Union contract. The HR Administrator works closely with the finance team to ensure accurate processing of payroll, supports various department managers in recruitment and addressing employee disciplinary issues, and assists in employee engagement and DEAI initiatives. QBG has 27 full-time employees, 22 part-time employees, and 18 part-time seasonal employees.
Payroll & Benefits Administration
- Maintain personnel records (physical, electronic, HRIS)
- Process employment changes (compensation, hours, position, schedule, etc.) and prepare related notifications as required
- Maintain union pay order records and schedules, and process related salary increases
- Administer employee benefit plans including processing new enrollments and changes, overseeing open enrollment, and maintaining related records
- Reconcile benefit plan invoices with enrollment records and remit for payment
- Process claims related to Disability, FMLA, PFL, and Workers Compensation
- Ensure employee benefit time balances are accurately maintained
HR Compliance & Policy Administration
- Maintain labor law posting board with required and current posters
- Research new and evolving employment laws and issues; help QBG remain in compliance/demonstrate best practice
- Ensure employees complete required annual trainings and maintain required licenses
- Disseminate and track employee signoffs on new and updated policies
- Support employee engagement and DEI initiatives
Recruitment, Onboarding and Offboarding Employees
- Maintain job requisitions, post open positions, and assist with recruitment and recruitment strategy
- Prepare and send job offer letters to selected candidates
- Initiate preemployment background checks
- Ensure new employees receive and complete required employment forms and signoff on the Employee Manual and related notices, and policies
- Coordinate resources for new employees with Technology Manager and maintenance department as needed
- Provide terminating employees with required notices and forms (Record of Employment, COBRA, etc.)
- Assist with and/or Administer Exit Survey/ Interview for terminating employees
This job description reflects the essential functions of the position. Additional tasks related to the role may be assigned including supporting the Accounting & Administrative Coordinator with administrative tasks.
Listed below are the preferred qualifications for this position. QBG is actively seeking to continue to build on our diverse and inclusive workplace, therefore if you share a passion for our mission we encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related HR Certification
- At least 2 years of experience dealing with human resources
- Knowledge of labor laws
- Experience with HRIS software or application
- Demonstrated appreciation for and ability to maintain confidential information
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook or similar applications
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Highly detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Aptitude for calculations related to determining and prorating compensation and payroll deductions
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter via our applicant portal at https://qbgarden.org/recruit/hra/idealist.
No phone calls please.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources via email email@example.com