Part Time Human Resources Manager/Payroll Manager at Apex International Education Partners, LLC (AIEP) in CT
Apex International Education Partners, LLC (“AIEP”) is now accepting applications for its newly created part-time position, Human Resources & Payroll Manager. The ideal candidate will be a human resources generalist who can provide a comprehensive range of Human Resources capability in support of the organization’s staff members primarily located in Connecticut and others working remotely in other states. The Human Resources & Payroll Manager will be a proven, seasoned professional with high integrity, strong interpersonal, and leadership skills. Reporting to the Company President, this position is responsible for oversight of all aspects of the human resources function, including personnel administration, restructuring, hiring/firing, discipline, training, compliance and payroll and benefits processing and oversight. At least 5 years of HR experience working for a a small to medium-sized organization is required with a plus working in the secondary education, individual or family services, or social services industry.
About the Company: AIEP was established in 2011 to assist U.S. secondary educational institutions with the recruiting and hosting of international students from China & Vietnam, while providing quality and safe local homestays and dormitories. Our goal is to promote greater diversity in U.S. high schools, facilitate cultural awareness amongst American, Chinese, and Vietnamese students, and ease the process of living and learning abroad. Through the years, AIEP has created a portfolio of 100+ private day schools located exclusively in Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island, a dormitory in Connecticut (Company HQ), and 200 host families that oversee the well-being, care, safety and education of over 300 international students annually from China & Vietnam. Our program ensures that students will succeed not only academically, but also socially while integrating into the American culture and education system.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Recruitment and Professional Development
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship, create and sustain an inclusive culture, and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
- Participate in leadership meetings by providing the current human resources perspective in helping influence operational decisions.
- Lead and manage the entire recruiting lifecycle for all new personnel, including best practices for interviewing job candidates, creating and posting position advertisements, interviewing and vetting new applicants, and preparing new hire contracts and information packets.
- Coordinate new colleague orientation efforts in a way that allows new members of our community to understand our organization’s culture.
- Work with leadership and staff to ensure impactful personal and professional development.
- Administer HR policies in a consistent and equitable manner.
- Provide ongoing guidance, counsel and training to organization leadership and supervisors with work performance issues, disciplinary procedures, policy interpretation and compliance.
- Coach supervisors in areas of workplace conflict resolution and progressive discipline; advise when disciplinary issues arise.
Employment Law and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legislation as it pertains to personnel, such as Worker’s Compensation, Unemployment, Sexual Harassment Training, COVID-19 State & Federal regulations, etc.
- Guide leadership and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines in the employee handbook, communicating and enforcing the organization's values.
- Support and continue to strengthen the new hire orientation and on-boarding and off-boarding process.
- Prepare and represent Company with employee terminations, unemployment insurance claims, unemployment hearings, unemployment questionnaires and unemployment appeals
- Conduct background and reference checks of prospective employees.
Compensation and Benefits
- Administer and process bi-weekly payroll for all employees while keeping track of PTO, Sick, Vacation, etc. days
- Successfully coordinate benefit programs (health, dental, vision, 401(k), Life, etc) for employees, including all employee enrollment, withdrawals, communication, problem solving, claims resolution, and compliance with applicable laws and statutes (HIPAA, ERISA, IRS, etc.)
Record Keeping and Reporting
- Manage annual 401(k) audit and serve as primary contact for the auditors.
- Manage Workers' Compensation policy renewal and annual Workers' Compensation premiums audit
- Maintain secure and confidential human resource-related files and records.
- BA/BS degree or graduate degree in human resources or a related field
- Certification: SHRM or HRCI certification required
- At least 5 years of HR experience working for a a small to medium-sized organization with a plus working in the secondary education, individual or family services, or social services industry
- Strong technical skills, and experience with Microsoft Office Suite with an emphasis on Microsoft Excel and payroll processing system skills
- A comprehensive understanding of personnel management and best practices in human resources
- Solid understanding of all relevant labor laws, including federal, state and local labor, employment and wage and hour laws across multiple states that organization operates in (primarily Connecticut and also Massachusetts, New Jersey & Rhode Island)
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment background check
Key Skills & Qualities:
- A high degree of professionalism, discretion, and the ability maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Excellent oral, listening, administrative, and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, leadership and employees
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage projects from conception to implementation
- Ability to use judgment that is consistent with organization’s culture, standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations and/or government law
- Ability to coach staff and leadership through complex, difficult, and sensitive issues
- Expert management of multiple priorities, functions and activities
- Ability to work in a changing environment, dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and with a varied and diverse population
- Commitment to Equity and Inclusion, and fostering a culture that supports a strong sense of belonging
- Positive, “can-do” attitude with demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team
- Patience, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Apex International Education Partners, LLC ("AIEP") offers an inclusive environment where differences in race, culture, and personal beliefs are embraced as assets that enhance education. AIEP prides itself on being a forward-thinking organization and home to vast background of clientele from diverse backgrounds across the world.
A*IEP is an equal opportunity employer. AIEP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law with regard to hiring, terms and conditions of employment or educational programs. We strive to provide a welcoming environment where the value and dignity of every member is respected.*
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $1,200.00 per week
- 401(k) matching
- Flexible schedule
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
How AIEP is Keeping Our Host Families, Students, Schools & Employees Safe:
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- Connecticut (Required)
- Please kindly provide details of SHRM or HRCI certification held.
- This is a part-time, salaried position working in-person in Derby, Connecticut. Please kindly confirm.
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Human resources: 5 years (Preferred)
- Payroll: 5 years (Preferred)
- Microsoft Office: 5 years (Preferred)
- SHRM or HRCI certification (Required)
- One location