Chief People Officer - Miami Valley Child Development Centers, Dayton, Ohio
(This was shared with me from fellow HR practitioner - Steve Black)
We are looking for a Chief People Officer (CPO) who will be responsible for developing and executing human resource strategies that are aligned to overall business strategies and plans. Specific areas of focus are as follows: succession planning, talent management, change management, performance management, training and development, employee relations, and employee engagement. The CPO provides strategic leadership by actively partnering with the Executive Leadership Team and the Board of Directors to realize organizational goals.
This senior role reports to the President/CEO.
- Develop and implement a Human Resource plan that aligns with the organization’s mission and overall strategies, resulting in people practices and policies that foster high-performing teams characterized by achieving goals, being held accountable for results, and building trust-centered relationships.
- Gain an understanding of the organization and its team members in order to effectively partner with all members of the Senior Management Team (SMT), especially the COO and CEO, to provide insightful, innovative thinking, and problem-solving on critical organizational operations.
- Optimize and modernize the HR function/team by aligning key people practices, processes, and policies to organizational strategic goals.
- Help build a world-class organization by providing HR leadership when leading projects, change initiatives, organizational design, and diversity and inclusion efforts. All of these efforts will result in building an innovative, high-energy, and engaged workplace.
- Help build a culture where great people want to work by improving the organization’s talent acquisition and management practices. Advise on people programs and processes to enhance talent attraction, retention, development, and succession.
- Develop comprehensive approaches to employee development, retention, and onboarding by refining or creating: compensation and benefits, career paths and employee development, succession planning, and learning opportunities as appropriate to the needs of MVCDC.
- Ensure organizational compensation and benefit practices and offerings are equitable and competitive by regularly conducting internal and external benchmark studies. Guide the HR team in supporting the organization to administer consistent and value-add Performance Management, Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development, Engagement, Rewards, Policy, and Compliance practices.
- Partner with IT on HRIS and related systems, protocols, capabilities, and upgrades to ensure accurate and timely reporting in order to make data-driven decisions.
- Foster positive relationships with vendors and external partners to maximize these relationships and negotiate pricing and contractual terms that align with organizational goals.
- Ensure legally compliant practices and appropriately mitigate organizational risks by partnering with the organization’s legal advisors.
Culture and Development Responsibilities:
- Develop relationships with the employees and become someone who is sought for advice and counsel on HR, cultural, and organizational issues. Coach and counsel SMT in developing themselves and their teams to achieve improved performance and engagement.
- Counsel, coach, and guide managers and staff in addressing concerns and complaints to assure fair and equitable treatment while ensuring compliance with local labor regulations and practices.
- Coach and mentor fellow colleagues/managers and develop leadership bench strength capable of addressing the challenges of a highly dynamic organization.
- Mediate employee relations and performance issues and provide counsel to fellow managers on appropriate methods of performance management, corrective action, and legal/compliance-related matters.
- Promote and contribute to MVCDC’s unique culture by actively living out the organization’s mission, vision, and values when interacting with internal and external stakeholders.
Education, Experience and Skills Desired:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources required. Advanced degree in Human Resources or MBA preferred. Certifications in HR helpful (SHRM-SCP, SPHR, GPHR). 5+ years of relevant business experience ideal.
- At least 10+ years of progressive HR leadership experience, with 2-3 years leading an HR function.
- At least 3 years’ experience managing people and teams of various sizes in dispersed locations, demonstrating a strong cultural awareness.
- Public sector, not-for-profit experience beneficial.
- Solid knowledge of all facets of HR, including but not limited to employee relations, talent recruitment, development and retention, performance management, change management, successful planning, compensation and benefits, HR information systems with specialized expertise in at least 2 areas. Broad and deep experience as an HR Business Partner supporting executives or senior leadership.
- General business and financial acumen with the ability to develop and utilize HR data and metrics as they relate to and impact business topics in Finance, Legal, IT, payroll, and administration.
- Excellent communications skills - written, verbal and interpersonal - and an ability to tailor communication style to diverse audiences globally.
- Demonstrated capability in adapting and innovating HR practices and solutions and right-sizing them to the needs of a fluid and fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization.
- Results-driven, agile, change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment.
- Drive initiatives with limited resources and roll-up your sleeves attitude to achieve desired results.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness, and credibility are necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated success at cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating partnerships at all levels within the organization to achieve results.
- Empathetic and engaging individual, who listens well, is responsive, solutions-focused and results-oriented.
- Passionate about the mission of MVCDC, enthused by the challenges confronting the organization, and dedicated to achieving its goal.
Interested people should apply at:
https://mvcdc.org/join-the-team/ - Click on the "Chief People Officer" link