Manager of Learning and Development - Baylor University, Waco, Texas
(This came to me from Broc Edwards, Director of Talent Management at Baylor University. - Steve)
Our Manager of Learning & Development, recently announced his resignation to pursue an opportunity outside of higher education and I am looking for someone who can build on all the great work already done and take it to the next level in the coming years. If you know of someone who might be interested please let me know by emailing me at: email@example.com
I see this as a great role for a versatile L&D professional to step into the challenge of building and running L&D classes and programs. This requires being able to think both big picture and detail and be a great communicator and collaborator across departments and levels.
The requirements are all available at https://jobs.baylor.edu/postings/4727, but basically include a Bachelor’s degree with three plus years of experience developing/delivering professional and leadership development resources, classes, and programs.
What the position description won’t necessarily tell you:
- The position as exists today is only a couple years old. A foundation has been laid, but there is much to continue to develop and grow. This is not a role for someone who wants to maintain what’s already been built; this is a role for someone looking to build.
- This is an area of one. There is some administrative support and possibly the occasional student intern, but this position is largely all things L&D.
- It reports to me. (I like to think of that as a plus, but…). Both the CHRO and I love L&D, so there is good support for it, but we also have lots of ideas and opinions about it, so maybe that’s a mixed blessing.
- Initial activities will include: expanding and rounding out class offerings, creating a mentoring program, increasing resources for nurturing and developing new supervisors, and creating learning tracks.
- The Talent Management team includes L&D, staff recruiting, student employment, HR communications, and HR operations & projects. This makes for a very diverse team in terms of responsibilities and backgrounds. Additionally, this role works closely with others areas of HR to ensure we are meeting the learning needs of the different constituents.
My L&D philosophies and approach:
- Our role is to help our constituents make better decisions and take better actions so they can get better results.
- The purpose of L&D is to improve performance. There are a lot of fantastic additional side benefits, but people should be getting better because of L&D.
- We focus on making things Amazon 1-click simple while providing the service of Nordstrom.
I hope you take a look at this and either apply, or share it to someone who'd like this opportunity.
Thanks - Broc