HR Manager - Rookwood Pottery, Cincinnati, Ohio
(This came to me from Suzetter Percival of Rookwood Pottery. - Steve)
We're excited about adding an HR Manager to our team at Rookwood Pottery.
ABOUT ROOKWOOD POTTERY
The Rookwood Pottery Company is located in the bustling Over-the-Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio—and it has been for decades. Pioneering artist Maria Longworth-Nichols founded our studio in the Queen City over 130 years ago, building the business and laying the foundation for what Rookwood is today: a world-renowned artisanal ceramics company, operating in the heart of the Ohio River Valley.
From New York’s Grand Central Station to The Louvre in Paris, contemporary boutique hotels to historic homes, Rookwood has truly made its mark on the world in the past three centuries. And now, it’s embarking on the next chapter.
Today, Rookwood continues to build upon its rich heritage, creating the highest-quality pottery and architectural tile in the United States. With a team of just over 70 employees, we’re deeply committed to our mission: cultivating artistic inspiration, giving back to the community, and balancing our rich legacy with forward-thinking momentum—ideas that are central to the Rookwood brand. We take pride in our process, our people and our product, ultimately creating premier pieces with a story—and a one-of-a-kind luxury experience that can only be Rookwood.
Rookwood has a long history of engaged, productive employees, and is searching for a Human Resources Manager to help the company strengthen its culture by positively engaging, recruiting, and motivating Rookwood employees.
The candidate selected for this role will be involved in and responsible for the full array of HR activities: policy development, labor relations, compensation and benefits, training and development, recruitment and staffing, and safety and environmental policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of HR policy and procedures. The bulk of the role will involve recruitment, employee orientations, benefits administration, compensation, rewards, and conflict resolution, but there is great opportunity for developing and refining processes and systems. We are eager to find an HR manager who easily connects with people and has a detail-oriented, solutions-based mindset to handle the changing nature of today’s modern workforce.
The HR Manager will work collaboratively across leadership teams. This person is a highly-polished leader with exceptional strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, and thinks conceptually and strategically about HR and its role in the ever-evolving workplace. Rookwood’s new HR Manager is expected to push the envelope and serve a significant role in developing and implementing new and exciting ideas that will help the company achieve its vision and fulfill its mission. The HR Manager will lead the development of a superior workforce and development of the Human Resources Department.
- Oversee, refine, and execute employee standards and procedures, using and improving HR existing and recommended systems and processes
- Lead Rookwood recruitment efforts and prepare employees for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs
- Champion the onboarding process, ensuring the process is up-to-date and of high quality, providing clarity and connection for all employees and their role in relation to the overall vision
- Implement and oversee company engagement with employment laws and practices
- Drive successful administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources programs
- Create and maintain effective processes and procedures with clear roles and responsibilities within and across the organization
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable HR federal and state requirements, conducting investigations, and maintaining records
- Support departments in the development and delivery of strategic HR plans to fit with the overall business direction
- Plan, monitor, and appraise HR activities by scheduling management conferences with employees, hearing and resolving employee grievances, training managers to coach and discipline employees, and counseling employees and supervisors
- Maintain management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures
- Develop annual goals and budgets for HR; oversee budget
- Identify and recommend areas of improvement to internal standard operating procedures, including team restructuring and morale
- Work collaboratively with Rookwood associates across the enterprise
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, or Organization Development or equivalent
- Four to six plus years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions
- Exceptional communication skills, writing skills, interpersonal skills, and ethical mindset
- Specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, training, and preventive labor relations, preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification preferred, not required
- Manufacturing experience preferred
HOW TO APPLY
Email your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Application: HR Manager” Please, no phone calls.