Payroll Manager - Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
(The following opening was sent to me by Meltem Kokaly from Wright State)
If you're interested in this role, please apply at: http://jobs.wright.edu/postings/13022
The Payroll Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of payroll operations to ensure accurate and timely processes while maintaining compliance with regulations, policies and procedures.
This position reports to the University Controller and works with several other departments on projects as needed and is vital for the end of calendar year and fiscal year processing.
Essential Job Functions (and % of time):
Administer departmental activities and processing of payroll functions. Manage and or perform monthly, quarterly and annual reporting. Monitor and interpret federal, state and local payroll related regulations to ensure University compliance. Manage departmental workflow and develop procedures improving efficiency and security. Facilitate achievement of departmental goals. Continually reconcile payroll system reports for accurate federal, state and local processing and reporting. Payroll reports generated in house include all federal, state, and local reports and returns- including, but not limited to Forms W-2 and 941, 1095C and 1042. 40%
Oversee the selection of payroll staff. Train and supervise payroll staff. Establish development goals for staff and provide assistance as necessary. Conduct performance evaluations and coaching. Assist staff as appropriate and necessary. 20%
Participate in the coordination, testing and implementation of payroll system enhancements, test system upgrades to ensure database integrity, and coordinate creation of reports. Collaborate with staff in Controller’s Office, IT, HR, and others to maintain system and data integrity. 20%
Participate in annual financial year-end closing and external audit. 10%
Provide a high level of customer service to the University community. Communicate with campus as necessary regarding payroll related matters. 5%
Perform other duties as required. 5%
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration or related field.
- Five (5) years of related experience in payroll management or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Advanced working knowledge of payroll processing and database systems required.
- Ability to work independently, to manage deadlines and to prioritize assignments.
- Excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Previous experience with Banner by Ellucian.
- Higher education payroll.
- Certified Payroll Professional.
- Supervision experience.
- Typical office environment.
- To preserve the safety and security of the campus community and to maintain the integrity of university operations, it is the policy of Wright State University before making an employment offer conduct various background checks, such as a criminal record, credit history when job related and/or education verifications. Additionally, an administrative review shall be conducted whenever the university learns that an employee is charged with or convicted of a crime (except for minor vehicle violations).
- Frequently asked questions related to background checks may be found on the human resources website at http://www.wright.edu/human-resources.
- Effective July 1, 2017, per Policy 7230 Wright State University is tobacco-free. Tobacco use, including the sale, advertising sampling and distribution of tobacco products and tobacco related items is prohibited in all university facilities, on all university owned or leased grounds, university owned or operated residence halls and apartments, and at all university sponsored events regardless of location. Tobacco use is also prohibited in all university vehicles or on any equipment owned, leased or operated by Wright State University. This policy applies to anyone on campus including students, faculty, staff, visitors, consultants, vendors, patients, volunteers, and contractor employees.