Referral Program Structure
Hi - We have been researching referral programs. And we are interested in piloting a referral program at our engineering firm; however, I was hoping to get some ideas and/or information from this group on if you have a referral program:
- how it is structured?
- do you provide 1/2 payment when they start and 1/2 payment after they have been at your firm for 1 year?
- do you have different referral bonuses based on the level of position?
- are some employees exempt from the referral bonus (senior employees, executives, etc.?
- how do you track referrals?
Any other relevant info that would help?
Thank you all!
Mandy, we had a referral program that paid $500 for referral of a non-exempt employee and $1,000 for exempt. The bonus was paid after 120 days of employment. Executives and HR were not eligible for the bonus. HR tracked the referrals both in the HRIS system and the old fashioned way, setting a reminder.
Hi Mandy Wehner !
We structured our referral bonus program to be point based, encouraging continuous engagement in the program, even when referrals aren't hired.
To summarize, it is a point based system that allows team members to earn points for certain steps that their referral completes in the hiring process. We have a leaderboard that is accessible to all employees and we provide updates throughout the quarter of the current leaderboard as well as open positions. At the end of each quarter, we have a fun presentation where we provide all the data for the quarter, play music, hand out cash to all the employees who qualified for the quarter, and hand out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies for the quarter.
We also give a shout out to folks who earned points for the quarter, but didn’t qualify for the cash prizes.
In addition to the points rewards, we also issue bonus awards when a referral reaches their 90th day of employment:
- $25.00 gift card for referring a non-exempt (hourly) part-time employee
- $1,000 for referring a non-exempt (hourly) employee
- $2,500 for an exempt (salaried) employee
Hope this helps! Happy to chat or put you in touch with the recruiting team responsible for developing the program :)