Assistant Controller - Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
(The following opening was sent to me by Meltem Kokaly from Wright State)
If you're interested in this role, please apply at: http://jobs.wright.edu/postings/12908
Provide administrative and functional leadership over the accounting, payroll, tax, and accounts payable functions of the university.
Establish appropriate policies and procedures to assure the University’s official accounting records are properly and accurately maintained in accordance with internal policies, external laws, and generally accepted accounting principles.
Maintain an appropriate system of internal controls over financial functions.
Train, develop, and coordinate efforts of assigned staff and in liaison with departmental units.
Serve as the primary contact with external and internal auditors.
Essential Job Functions (and % of time):
General Accounting: Provide direction and oversight to professional accounting staff responsible for maintaining the university’s general and subsidiary ledgers, and preparing the annual financial report. Assure the successful execution of monthly and year-end closings, and preparation of financial and managerial reporting thereon. Provide oversight and direction to functional activities including but not limited to journal entry processing, account reconciliations, account variance analysis, GL maintenance, preparation of accruals and accounting estimates for year-end accruals. Provide expertise on GAAP and Governmental Accounting Standards (GAS and GASB pronouncements). Prepare and review Unrelated Business Income Tax filings.
Manage the year-end financial close, preparation of the annual financial report and co-ordinate the annual audit, including preparation of various work papers and schedules for the auditors as well as direction of staff efforts to complete necessary schedules. Manage annual report filings with all required agencies and authorities such as the Auditor of State, Ohio Office of Budget and Management, U.S. Dept. Education, Federal Audit Clearinghouse, etc. - 45%
Accounts Payable (AP) and Procurement Card and Expense Management System: Provide direction and oversight of the Accounts Payable function. Assure vendor payments are being made accurately and timely. Ensure appropriate internal controls and policies are in place and are enforced. Maintain a high level of customer service and resolve AP related issues as necessary. Confirm required tax filings (Form 1099) are completed accurately and on time. Assure the training and maintenance of documentation necessary to provide support and direction to the campus cardholders and travelers. - 20%
Payroll: Oversee the University’s payroll function assuring faculty, staff and student employees are paid correctly and on-time. Assure taxes, garnishments and other withholdings are withheld and remitted to appropriate authorities. Oversee preparation of required tax reporting including forms 941, W-2, etc. Provide training to staff in departmental units. Assist in resolving payroll issues when needed. - 20%
Coordinate efforts of the Office of the Controller with other areas of the University as necessary to further the mission of the University. This includes serving on committees, participating in workshops, providing training, etc. Collaborate as required in providing data and reports to the University management, Board of Trustees, Ohio Department of Higher Education, Integrated Post-secondary Education Data System, Higher Learning Commission, etc. - 10%
Other position duties as assigned. - 5%
- B.S. Degree
- Eight (8) years of previous similar experience
- Supervisory experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting or MBA
- Higher Education background
- Office environment
- 40 hrs/week May work more than 40 hrs/week during year-end close.
- To preserve the safety and security of the campus community and to maintain the integrity of university operations, it is the policy of Wright State University before making an employment offer conduct various background checks, such as a criminal record, credit history when job related and/or education verifications. Additionally, an administrative review shall be conducted whenever the university learns that an employee is charged with or convicted of a crime (except for minor vehicle violations).
- Frequently asked questions related to background checks may be found on the human resources website at http://www.wright.edu/human-resources
- Effective July 1, 2017, per Policy 7230 Wright State University is tobacco-free. Tobacco use, including the sale, advertising sampling and distribution of tobacco products and tobacco related items is prohibited in all university facilities, on all university owned or leased grounds, university owned or operated residence halls and apartments, and at all university sponsored events regardless of location. Tobacco use is also prohibited in all university vehicles or on any equipment owned, leased or operated by Wright State University. This policy applies to anyone on campus including students, faculty, staff, visitors, consultants, vendors, patients, volunteers, and contractor employees.